Sunday, May 10, 2009

Charging System

When I first go my 1500 I could not figure out why my lights were soo dim and that every time I sat in stop and go traffic or a lot of stop and go city traffic the bike would stall and sometimes not start or be sitting in freeway rush hour (why do they call it that when no one is rushing any where) traffic and it would just quit and not start, then have to push it off to the side and wait for AAA to jump it and hope I would be able to get it home. And, as you already know with out some modification the full running light systems comes on the minute you turn the key on and they have to be on by law in some states every minute you are on the road and that just puts that much more strain on an already not charging battery.
Well in checking around it was found that the 1500 stock charging system (alternator) DOES NOT charge below 1000 RPM's. Well guess what?.... that's below idol speed of about 750-800 RPM's......
That just paranoid me to set in any kind of traffic at all and every night I was hooking it up to the charger to make sure the battery was up and full for the next day of hand-to-hand (if you have driven Los Angeles traffic you know what I mean) driving...
In doing some checking around I found the "Fire Storm" charging and battery system.
This is a very easy replacement of the stock alternator and battery system. If you know your way around a screw drive and a couple of wrenches you can do it your self in about an hour. Cover off to cover on. This would include the battery change out.
The system puts out enough power that at factory set idol it will run every conceivable electrical system on any 1500 out there.... yes even the bikes who's owner believe they need to have there bikes look like a landing runway at an international air port. All of the stereo amps you can put on the bike. The driving lights(offical on or off road), LED's, strobes, lasers, NASA tracking equipment.... the works. And it will do it at an idol....No kidding, idol.
Now you CAN NOT use a regular lead acid battery the alternator will fry it. You MUST use a gel cell that the alternator will handle or the one that comes with the alternator in the box.
I have had mine in for over five years. Have driven in the mountain snow and Death Valley in the summer. Drive it all day long in Nevada and not one starting, idoling or running electrical issue to date....

1 comment:

  1. Where'd you find the charging system? Do you have a URL for the company? I have a similar problem where if I just idle the battery is charged ok, but as soon as I turn on my heated grips, or even just use the brakes, the battery drains.

    ReplyDelete